HomePod and HomePod mini are two smart speakers from Apple. They are two very useful speakers, especially if you have a lot of Apple devices. We’ve put together a bunch of tips for you to get the most out of.
Tricks for HomePod and HomePod mini
Apple speakers are very interesting and we can use them for many things, here are some of the best tricks.
Send messages or WhatsApp from the HomePod
HomePod can send messages through different platforms, iMessage, WhatsApp, Telegram, WeChat, Viber, Skype, or LinkedIn, among others. You can also send SMS messages.
All you have to do is say “Hey Siri, send a message from WhatsApp”, or from Telegram or iMessage, the HomePod will ask you to say who you want to send and dictate the content of the message.
How to update HomePod
As a device without a screen to use, you may not know how the HomePod is kept up to date, and keeping your device’s software up to date is essential to keep them functioning in the best possible way. HomePod and HomePod mini are updated from iPhone and we need to follow these steps:
- We access the Home application.
- Click on the top button with the icon of a house.
- Now you have to click on Home Settings.
- Scroll down until you see Software Update.
- You will see if there are updates, and you can activate automatic updates
How to change the name of the HomePod
If you have multiple HomePods, it’s essential that each have a different name to avoid confusion, so you can do this:
- Go to the Home app.
- Press and hold the button on the HomePod.
- Scroll down to settings and tap on the name that appears just below music and alarms.
- Type the name you want.
Send songs from iPhone to HomePod
HomePod and HomePod mini support this feature allowing us to easily send content from one device to another.
If we play a song or podcast on the iPhone, just bring it closer to the HomePod and the content will start playing on the speaker. And the same thing happens in reverse. This is a feature that can be used by all users that you add to the Home app.
The HomePod and HomePod mini have a small screen on top that is a touchscreen. Through certain touches, you can control your speaker.
- Tap once: Play or pause music or Siri.
- Double-tap: Skip a song.
- Triple tap: Skip back song.
- Long press: Activate Siri.
- Touch or hold + or –: Increase or decrease the volume.
Find your iPhone
HomePod and HomePod mini are a great way to find your iPhone if you don’t know where you left it. Similar to how the Apple Watch does, the iPhone will make a sound so you can locate it.
- Just say, “Hey Siri, where’s my iPhone?”
- The HomePod will tell you that it is in contact with your iPhone.
- Your iPhone will begin to vibrate and play a sound.
Siri has a lot of tricks
Siri is the soul of HomePod and HomePod mini, and with the assistant, we can do many very useful things in our day today.
- Translate sentences from one language to another.
- Check the weather and weather forecast in any city in the world.
- Convert different units, like how many kilometers are a mile.
- Increase the volume or adjust it to a percentage.
- Add lists or reminders.
- Start timers and set alarms.
- Create notes, which will be synced with your iPhone or iPad.
- Play your favorite music, a song, an artist, or a certain genre.
- Play a specific Podcast.
- Play different sounds, such as the waves of the sea or the roar of a lion.
- Find nearby places like restaurants or shops.
- Control connected accessories in your home.
The HomePod is capable of calling any contact in your address book using your iPhone. Just say “Hey, Siri is calling [name of a contact]” and Siri on HomePod will initiate the call. HomePod and iPhone must be in close proximity and connected to the same Wi-Fi network for calls to work.
Send websites to iPhone
You can search the web and HomePod will send it to your iPhone so you can check it out. For example, you can ask, “Hey Siri, search the web for New York travel guides,” and HomePod will tell you to send them to your iPhone, where you’ll get a notification with the search results.
Siri can run Shortcuts
The Shortcuts app is one of the most useful on the iPhone and from the HomePod we can control those shortcuts that allow it. For example, we can activate scenes for smart home control, but you will be able to execute any compatible shortcut.
Send content from your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or TV
HomePod and HomePod mini are AirPlay compatible, so you can send content from any AirPlay-enabled device. Fortunately, there are already many televisions compatible with AirPlay, and of course, all Apple devices are.